Hi techno girls and techno boys!
A long time is passed from my last post, but I worked to many projects in parallel… some of these will pe published here in the near (…ehhhhmmmm!) future. 😉
Since you know I am also a musician (please visit my italian music homepage, which contains good music to download 😉 : www.marcolastri.net), today I present you a very interesting “hack” which I’ve done starting from a beautiful device from Bleep Labs: the famous, open source and open hardware, and overall groovy Bleep Drum (a very powerful drum machine with a set of 80’s sounds):
I asked Dr. Bleep (the Bleep Labs boss) the permission to publish here my complete hacking project….and he gave it to me with pleasure. Many thanks Dr. Bleep, you’re a great!
…So, I am here to describe you my work.
Starting from the schematic of Bleep Drum I noticed that the device used one ATMEGA 328 with 16Mhz quartz….very similar to Arduino architecture.
Then I downloaded the source code (version 07) for Bleep Drum from the official repository…and I saw that the code was written for Arduino! 🙂 . Note the newest version of the software is the 09.
So, I replicated the embedded project using and Arduino Uno (using the well known mapping between Arduino GPIO pins and the ATMEGA328 pins) and two/three breadboards in order to apply my hacks.
Well, I wanted to add three main functionalities to Bleep Drum:
- A two channels-mon0 output instead the original one channel mono (because in my home studio I would like to use the output of the Bleep Drum to enter in two mono parallel filters)
- A Volume control
- A little amplification functionality
So, I worked on the output stage of the Bleep Drum and I applied the following modifications (all is designed “by hand”, as usual! 😉 ). In the drawing (made by ML 🙂 ) you can see the differences from my output stage and the original one.
In practice, I directly connected the output of the MPC4901 DAC to a LM358 dual operational amp, removing the resistor and the capacitor and adding a 10K potentiometer in order to control the volume.
I connected this output to the two gates of the LM358, in order to have two amplified mono channels.
Finally, as you see, I’ve connected the two outputs of the LM358 gates to the jack tip and ring using two 10uF capacitors.
This is the complete Fritzing schema of the project (click to view the full size image).
And finally, thi is the detail of the modified output stage:
Regarding the Arduino software, the version 07 of the official sofware is working great on my hack! 😉
Now the output of my homemade Bleep Drum is very loud (and also “pumping”, if you know what I mean 😉 ), controlled in volume and on two mono channels. YEAHHHHHH! 🙂 So…I will use this instrument in my next electronic music compositions… because (as many of you know) I love the 80’s sounds!
Before to close this post I would like to thank again Dr. Bleep (and Bleep Labs) for his great work and for his helpfulness.
Bye bye geek-girls and geek-boys: I go to compose some good music…using my new instrument! 😉
See you soon!